May 15-19 & September 12-15, 2014
Traveling 53 miles into the park to the Toklat River rest area, the Tundra Wilderness Tour offers a wonderful diversity for visitors. Incredible scenery, a narrated history of the park road and some of the best opportunities to view the park’s wildlife inhabitants await you on this tour.
The Tundra Wilderness Tour will guide you along a spectacular road corridor, promising different experiences every day, as Denali’s wildlife moves at its own pace and according to the seasons. A full view of Mt. McKinley is a rare treat in Denali National Park and Preserve, and when visible, your tour will continue beyond the Toklat rest area to Stony Hill Overlook to provide truly awe-inspiring views of North America’s highest peak. Please note that the Stony Hill Overlook option is not available prior to June 1st due to Denali National Park and Preserve Road conditions.
The Tundra Wilderness Tour offers the opportunity to bring the wildlife and scenery right inside your tour bus through drop-down video screens. This video footage is added to our DVD "Windows Into Wilderness" and can be purchased on your tour or after returning home so you can relive your tour again and again! For more information about this DVD, please send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A boxed lunch and beverages are provided on this tour.
- Morning or afternoon departures from area hotels. The morning tour departs between 5:00 AM and 9:00 AM. The afternoon tour departs between 1:30 PM and 3:30 PM, allowing you to arrive on the train from Fairbanks or coach and take a tour the same day. Please note: Exact departure times are not guaranteed and are based on availability - it is possible to be ticketed for any time during the departure windows.
- 7-8 hour tour; 53 miles one-way into the park.
- Tour is on an upgraded bus similar in style to a coach.
- Tour stops approximately every 90 minutes for a restroom break.
- Wheelchair accessible buses are available on request when you make your reservation, and all stops are wheelchair accessible.
- Suggested items to bring: warm clothes, raingear, camera and film or memory card, binoculars and personal medication as necessary.
- Smoking or consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted on tour buses
- If you’re traveling with children, please take a moment to review the Alaska Car Seat Laws.
- Tour buses do not load at campgrounds.
- See our Firearm policy.
Prices include $10 Park Entry Fee (Adults Only)
Teklanika Tundra Wilderness Tour
The winter months are harsh in Interior Alaska, and can sometimes take a hard toll on the Park Road. The National Park Service works hard to get the road open before visitors arrive, but sometimes Mother Nature has different ideas. While the road corridor thaws, we offer a shortened version of the Tundra Wilderness Tour called the Teklanika Tundra Wilderness Tour. This 4-5 hour tour is fully narrated and travels to mile 30 of the Park Road to Teklanika River Overlook.
Advanced Reservations Highly Recommended.
Changing or Canceling a Bus Tour: There is a $4.00 fee per ticket to change or cancel a reservation eight (8) or more days prior to arrival. All changes or cancellations made within seven (7) days of arrival are non-refundable.